You may know that the federal government gives you, the employer, a lot of freedom regarding who can complete Form I-9 for your remote hires. But you may not have given much thought to exactly how you can leverage the flexibility of the form rules. Our phone-supervised solution makes Form I-9 for remote hires as easy as it can be!
As you probably know, the person who completes page 2 of Form I-9 does not have to have any specific training, knowledge, expertise, licensing or relationship to the employer. Your “Authorized Representative” is not required to be a Notary Public, nor even an adult! [Source] Form I-9 rules only require that the person who signs the Certification section of page 2 must be the person who personally views identification documents in the presence of the new hire.
The myth that Form I-9 must be completed by a Notary Public or an unrelated and disinterested third party has cost employers thousands and caused unnecessary headaches. Obviously, you want the form to be completed accurately and legally. Our “Complete by Phone” process leverages the flexibility that form rules give you to produce a problem-free, highly accurate Form I-9.
Why you should choose “Complete by Phone” for your next remote hire
The “Complete by Phone” option provides a number of benefits over remote completion by any other method, including our own service provider network:
- The Section 2 Certification is signed by the person who personally reviews the employee’s original identification documents while in a face-to-face meeting with the employee, producing a 100% legal form;
- Errors are minimized on the front end as our in-house form specialist checks page 1 with the employee, then tells the Authorized Representative what to write in every required field on page 2 (based on the ID presented by the employee). Your employee’s friend, neighbor or spouse becomes your experienced and knowledgeable representative;
- It is more convenient for the employee, who can usually find a qualified Authorized Representative within their circle of friends or family (we require a competent adult). The employee can schedule the phone call at a time convenient for them;
- You save money. The cost is $50 ($65 if the form is reviewed post-completion and returned by us, or completed on your onboarding portal); in contrast to the average $90 cost of service through our service provider network (and as high as $250 through our competitors);
- You save time. When you schedule service, your new remote hire receives instructions immediately. The employee can schedule the phone appointment with a Form I-9 specialist as soon as two hours after receiving instructions. With your employee’s cooperation, it is possible for a completely legal and correct form to be returned to you in less than three hours.
This solution isn’t new… but ours is better!
Our phone-supervised solution is not a different type of “completion by authorized representative” but a value-added solution. Many vendors offer a variant of this process; in the industry, it’s known as “friend-neighbor-spouse.” We manage the entire process from start to finish so that you don’t have to. And we supervise the face-to-face meeting to ensure that the form is completed correctly and legally.
Several very large employers have made “Complete by Phone” their primary process during the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic. We can help you onboard your new hires, even on your onboarding portal, without putting their health at additional risk. Contact us today!
Now available for new hires!
The employer is responsible for completing Form I-9 correctly. Federal rules hold the employer, not the employee, responsible for missed deadlines and form errors. But even if you send your new hires “into the wild” to complete Form I-9 on their own, you can be assured that the form they return is complete and accurate by referring them to this solution.