Verifyi9’s remote I-9 service and our nationwide service provider network already solves a critical problem for employers who hire remote employees. As you probably know, though, the person who completes page 2 of Form I-9 does not have to have any specific training, knowledge, expertise, licensing or relationship to the employer. Your “Authorized Representative” is not required to be a Notary Public, nor even an adult. [Source]
The only requirement is that the person who signs the Certification section of page 2 must be the person who personally views identification documents in the presence of the new hire. Obviously, you want the form to be completed accurately and legally. Our “Complete by Phone” process leverages form rules to produce a problem-free, highly accurate Form I-9.
Why you should choose “Complete by Phone” for your next remote hire
The “Complete by Phone” option provides a number of benefits over remote completion by any other method, including our own service provider option:
- The Section 2 Certification is signed by the person who personally reviews the employee’s original identification documents while in a face-to-face meeting with the employee, producing a 100% legal form;
- Errors are minimized on the front end as our in-house form specialist checks page 1 with the employee, then tells the Authorized Representative what to write in every required field on page 2 (based on the ID presented by the employee). Your employee’s friend, neighbor or spouse becomes your experienced and knowledgeable representative;
- It is more convenient for the employee, who can usually find a qualified Authorized Representative within their circle of friends or family (we require a competent adult). The employee can schedule the phone call at a time convenient for them;
- You save money. The cost is $50 ($65 if the form is reviewed post-completion and returned by us); in contrast to the average $90 cost of service through our service provider network;
- You save time. When you schedule service, your new remote hire receives instructions immediately. The employee can schedule the phone appointment with a Form I-9 specialist as soon as one hour after receiving instructions. With your employee’s cooperation, it is possible for a completely legal and correct form to be returned to you in less than two hours.
This solution isn’t new… but ours is better!
Many vendors offer a variant of this process; in the industry, it’s known as “friend-neighbor-spouse.” However, we may be the only remote I-9 processor who guides the meeting by phone, ensuring that the form is completed correctly. We have used phone-guided form completion for a couple of years as a fallback when we don’t have an in-network service provider in the new hire’s area, or when an employee’s special circumstances requires a more convenient way to complete the form.
Several employers have already made “Complete by Phone” their primary process, but it’s also an economical solution for special situations. For example, we recently completed 80 forms by phone for an employer who needed to quickly and conveniently correct serious errors discovered in a self-audit.